Cyberbullying is a huge problem that kids face today. Social media makes bullying easier, not just at school, but also at home. The question becomes how to protect your kids from cyberbullying.
Parents, you are probably thinking of ways to protect your kids from cyberbullying. which can negatively affect your child in many ways unfortunate ways. These feelings can follow your child thru adolescence and beyond.
Recent research on the impact of cyberbullying:
- In early 2019, schools where cell phones were disallowed, had a higher number of principal-reported cases of cyberbullying. (Source: NCES)
- A 2019 study found teens who were cyberbullied were also more likely to suffer from poor sleep and depression. (Source: University of Buffalo)
- A 2018 study found that parents want to be involved in helping to prevent and solve cyberbullying, but don’t know how. The study also found teens often believe cyberbullying is normal and don’t want parents to intervene. (Source: Taylor & Francis Online)
- An online survey of South Australian teens aged 12-17 found that social connectedness significantly helped reduce the impact of cyberbullying. (Source: Medical Xpress)
- As of August 2016, 16.9 percent of middle and high school students identified themselves as cyberbully victims. (Source: Cyberbullying Research Center)
- Among adolescents, 36.7 percent of female respondents stated they’d be the victim of cyberbullying at some point in their lifetime, compared to 30.5 percent of boys. (Source: Cyberbullying Research Center)
- Most online behaviors and threats to well-being are mirrored in the offline world (Source: Perspectives on Psychological Science)
- 34 percent of students claimed to have been bullied online at least once in their lifetime. (Source: Florida Atlantic University)
As a result of the above information, the Grom Social app is a social media mobile application built especially for kids to teach them how to stay safe while online while also exploring in a fun, controlled environment. The Grom Social app will not only protect your kids from cyberbullying, but also teaches them the dangers and impact it has on them and their peers.
If you are worried about what your kids are doing online and who they are connecting with, download Grom Social on their device and rest assured they will be in a safe, 24×7 monitored environment, while also learning good Digital Citizenship.